G'day, mate! Are you planning to visit the lovely city of Perth in December? If so, you're in for a treat! December in Perth means sun, surf, and sunny weather. Let's dive into what the weather in Perth in December has in store for you, and how you can make the most of your visit during this delightful time of the year.
Weather In Perth In December
North Mole Lighthouse
Perth, the capital city of Western Australia, is blessed with a Mediterranean climate. It's not just the warm, sunny days that make December special, but also the way the city comes alive with festivities and holiday cheer. Here's a quick look at the various aspects of the weather in Perth in December.
Daytime Highs: Expect temperatures to soar around 28-30°C. Don't be surprised if you find yourself reaching for your sunnies and a cold drink!
Nighttime Lows: As the sun sets, temperatures will dip to a comfortable 15-18°C. Perfect for strolling around the city or having a BBQ under the stars.
Sunshine and Daylight
Hours of Sunshine: You'll be treated to approximately 11 hours of sunshine per day during December, so there's plenty of time to soak up the sun.
Daylight Hours: With the sun rising around 5:00 am and setting close to 7:30 pm, you'll have ample daylight to explore Perth's many attractions.
Rain and Humidity
Rainfall: December is generally a dry month in Perth, with an average of just 13.8mm of rainfall spread across six days.
Humidity: Perth's December air is relatively dry, with average humidity levels hovering around 45%.
This table provides an easy-to-read summary of the key weather conditions and their respective readings for Perth in December.
|Hours of Sunshine
|Approx. 11 hours/day
|Sunrise: ~5:00 am
|Sunset: ~7:30 pm
Some people like to have a colder vacation, so if you are one of them, do check out the weather in Perth in June!
Prepping for Perth's December Weather
It's crucial to be prepared for Perth's sunny December days. Here's a quick checklist to ensure you have everything you need:
● Sun protection: Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are essential to protect yourself from the sun's rays.
● Light, breathable clothing: Opt for clothes made of natural fabrics like cotton or linen to keep you cool.
● Water bottle: Stay hydrated by carrying a reusable water bottle with you.
● Beach gear: Don't forget your swimsuit, beach towel, and flip-flops for those beachy days!
● Light jacket or sweater: A light layer is handy for the cooler evenings.
Things To Do In Perth In December
Magnificent view of Midgegooroo National Park
The lovely weather in Perth in December offers a fantastic opportunity to engage in a wide range of activities, from outdoor adventures to festive celebrations.
Here's some suggestions on the things to do to enjoy the weather in Perth in December!
Walk along Cottesloe Beach
Perth's beaches are famous for their crystal-clear waters, white sands, and vibrant atmosphere. Make sure to check out these popular spots:
● Cottesloe Beach: A favorite among locals and tourists alike, Cottesloe is perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying a meal at one of the beachfront cafes.
● Scarborough Beach: With its lively vibe and world-class surf breaks, Scarborough Beach is a surfer's paradise. Don't worry if you're new to the sport – there are surf schools available to help you ride the waves.
● City Beach: Just a short drive from the city center, City Beach offers a pristine shoreline, excellent swimming conditions, and a variety of beachside eateries.
Rottnest Island Adventures
Praia do Canto Marinho
A day trip to Rottnest Island is a must when visiting Perth in December. Some of the activities you can enjoy on the island include:
● Quokka spotting: These adorable marsupials are native to Rottnest Island and are known for their friendly demeanor and photogenic smiles.
● Cycling: Rent a bike and explore the island's scenic trails, taking in the stunning coastal views and stopping at secluded beaches for a dip.
● Snorkeling: Rottnest Island is surrounded by vibrant coral reefs and crystal-clear waters, making it an ideal spot for snorkeling. Discover the underwater world and its colorful marine life as you snorkel at popular spots like The Basin and Little Salmon Bay.
Festive Fun in Perth
Perth embraces the holiday spirit with various events and activities throughout December:
● Christmas markets: Browse the numerous Christmas markets around the city, where you can find unique gifts, indulge in festive treats, and enjoy live entertainment.
● Perth City Christmas Lights Trail: Take a magical walk through the city center and marvel at the dazzling light displays and festive decorations.
● New Year's Eve celebrations: Welcome the new year with a bang at one of Perth's many NYE events, such as the family-friendly NYE on the Foreshore or the spectacular fireworks display at the city's popular vantage points.
Canoeing at Garvey Park
Make the most of the glorious weather in Perth in December by exploring the great outdoors:
● Cycling: Perth offers a network of cycle paths that weave through the city and along the scenic Swan River. Rent a bike and pedal your way through Perth's most beautiful spots.
● Picnicking: Pack a picnic and head to one of Perth's many parks, such as Kings Park, Hyde Park, or Matilda Bay Reserve, for a leisurely alfresco meal surrounded by lush greenery.
The weather in Perth in December is nothing short of delightful, with sunny days and comfortable temperatures that are perfect for enjoying the city's beautiful beaches, outdoor activities, and festive events.
Do check out our Perth travel guide for more ideas!
Weather In Perth In December Conclusion
The weather in Perth in December is nothing short of delightful, offering visitors plenty of sunshine, warm temperatures, and a range of outdoor activities.
Whether you're keen on basking in the sun at one of Perth's beautiful beaches, exploring Rottnest Island, or immersing yourself in the city's festive events, December is the perfect time to visit. Just make sure to pack appropriately and prepare for the sunny days ahead.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your sunnies and get ready to soak up the sun in the wonderful city of Perth!